All lane running inquiry: RAC reacts to latest evidence given
Following today's Commons' Transport Committee session looking at all lane running smart motorways, RAC head of external affairs Pete Williams said:
“We have consistently raised the issue about the lengthy spacing between emergency rescue areas (ERAs) on all lane running smart motorways, so it is extremely good news for motorists’ safety that distances between them will be reviewed.
"A study of RAC breakdowns on the all lane running sections of the M25 found that only 42% of motorists who broke down were aware that ERAs existed, while only 28% could see an ERA from where they broke down. Clearly this indicates that better signage of ERAs should be a priority on existing and future stretches of smart motorways.
“We also welcome the announcement that there will be a public information programme to educate drivers on how to use smart motorways, which is clearly needed. With no hard shoulder, the safety of a motorist who has broken depends on other drivers complying with red ‘X’s that indicate a lane is closed. While 92% red ‘X’ compliance appears high, there has to be a real concern about the remaining 8% that ignore the overhead signage thus increasing the potential for a serious accident.
“Every step should be taken to ensure that motorways do not lose their status as the UK’s safest roads.”
Notes to Editors
The press office email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: the press office is unable to help with individual customer enquiries - please visit the RAC contacts page to find the right contact.
ISDN radio studio facilities are available for interviews Monday to Friday.
About the RAC
The RAC provides complete peace of mind to 12m UK private and business drivers, whatever their motoring needs. Its services include:
- Breakdown assistance. Its highly-skilled, 1,600-strong branded patrol workforce attends more than two million breakdowns every year, fixing on average four out of five vehicles at the roadside. The RAC’s patrol fleet is one of the most advanced in the UK, and was the first to roll out both an All-Wheels-Up recovery system, allowing the vast majority of vehicles to be recovered from a single patrol van, and EV Boost mobile electric vehicle charging units
- Insurance. The RAC is a top-five car insurance broker having surpassed the 500,000 policies-in-force milestone in 2018. It also offers ‘black box’ telematics policies, as well as home and travel insurance
- Other motoring services. The RAC leads in the development of new solutions for business, fleets, electric vehicles and future car technology. Its additional products and services include a personal loans offering, a used car buying website, vehicle inspections and checks, legal services or up-to-the-minute traffic and travel information. It also has a network of Approved Dealers and Approved Garages which combine the trust of RAC brand with local service and convenience
The RAC also works to support the interests of its members and UK drivers on the most important motoring issues which it identifies via the annual RAC Report on Motoring and the RAC Opinion Panel. The Report on Motoring is the longest running analysis of driver opinion in the UK having been published every year since 1989.
For more information about the RAC, visit the RAC website.