Press release -
RAC redefines UK roadside assistance market by providing a ‘complete breakdown service’ as standard
The RAC is redefining the UK roadside assistance market by becoming the first provider to offer customers a complete breakdown service as standard*.
The RAC is now offering ‘rescue anywhere’ cover with each of its three brand-new breakdown cover levels which means customers won’t have to upgrade to get home rescue. What’s more, if a vehicle can’t be fixed on the spot, all Standard, Advanced and Ultimate policies contain increasing levels of the vital breakdown features of towing and recovery, alternative transport and garage support to ensure customers get a complete service, whatever their budget and cover level.
For the one-in-five breakdowns that patrols can’t fix there and then, only the RAC offers a 20-mile taxi journey as standard so customers can carry on, even if their cars can’t. To help them stay mobile, Advanced and Ultimate customers are also entitled to a hire car.
Furthermore, all the new products include increasing levels of garage support – another new product benefit not offered by other providers – to help customers who find dealing with garages stressful and confusing. While customers opting for the Standard cover level receive a fault report to let the garage know what’s wrong, those choosing Advanced get a repair estimate and jargon-free explanation, and priority access to a trusted RAC Approved Garage, complete with a 12-month repair warranty. Ultimate customers receive the same benefits with the addition of a ‘garage concierge’ service, which gives them a taxi from the scene while the patrol books in and tows their vehicle for repair at an RAC garage.
The new cover levels in detail:
- Standard – gives customers ‘rescue anywhere’, up to three call-outs a year, a 10-mile tow to the nearest garage if the vehicle can’t be repaired, a fault report for the garage, and – unlike any other roadside assistance provider’s lowest priced policy – a 20-mile taxi ride for all passengers from the garage
- Advanced – offers the same ‘rescue anywhere’ cover alongside unlimited call-outs, a tow to any UK destination, and if the vehicle can’t be fixed on the spot, customers will be kept mobile with taxis, hire car, hotel and/or public transport for up to two days to the value of £150. They also get a garage repair estimate and explanation, priority access to a trusted RAC Approved Garage, together with a 12-month repair warranty
- Ultimate – provides ‘rescue anywhere’, unlimited call-outs, unlimited tows and a garage concierge service if the vehicle can’t be fixed during the call-out, enabling customers to get a taxi from the scene while the vehicle is booked in and taken separately to the garage. They also receive a garage repair estimate and explanation, priority access to a trusted RAC Approved Garage. They will also be kept moving with taxis, hire car, hotel and/or public transport for up to seven days to the value of £500.
Breakdown Extras such as Battery Replace and Tyre Replace** – both exclusive to the RAC – and Key Replace** can still be added if required.
RAC consumer roadside managing director Andy Baker said:
“We’ve taken a fresh look at the roadside assistance industry to give our customers greater peace of mind by providing a complete breakdown service as standard, at whatever cover level they opt for. We believe every customer should be rescued wherever they break down, be given help with garages and have access to alternative transport if their car can’t be fixed at the scene.
“Drivers told us they thought cover for breakdowns at home should be included as standard in breakdown policies.*** We also know just how common these sorts of breakdowns can be, especially this year with so many more people spending time at home. So we’ve responded, and anyone choosing one of these policies will now be rescued, regardless of where they happen to be in the UK when they break down.
“A complete breakdown service should be just as much about what happens after the call-out as what happens during it. Being without a car can be really stressful and then there’s all the jargon that comes with dealing with garages to contend with. That’s why we’ve clearly set out all the extra help we can give to the one-in-five customers whose vehicle our patrols can’t fix on the spot. This ranges from providing a standard 20-mile taxi home from the garage, to help cutting through ‘mechanic speak’ and providing priority access to RAC garages for repairs.
“Our three new cover levels redefine how breakdown cover should be in the 21st century by giving customers a ‘complete breakdown service as standard’, and with a far greater range of benefits than customers can buy elsewhere.”
Notes to Editors
* For new UK breakdown cover only. Excludes Arrival, Business Breakdown, European Cover and cover provided via corporate and insurance partners.
** Battery Replace, Tyre Replace, Key Replace – further details can be found at: Breakdown Extras
With Battery Replace, the cost of supplying and fitting a battery worth up to £600 is covered on a single vehicle, should the vehicle’s battery not recharge.
With Tyre Replace, if a vehicle breaks down as a result of a puncture or accidental or malicious damage, the RAC will send help, get the tyres repaired or supply up to five new tyres a policy year – up to £150 per tyre.
With Key Replace, if vehicle or house keys are lost, stolen or accidentally broken the RAC will replace them, fit new locks and reset a vehicle alarm/immobiliser, up to a total value of £1,500. If a vehicle can’t be driven, the RAC will also cover the costs of a hire car or alternative transport up to £80.
For terms and conditions see: www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/ukbd_policy_docs_combined_oct20
*** Research carried out online in August 2020 with 2,300 respondents from the RAC Driver Opinion Panel
The press office email address is email@example.com. Please note: the press office is unable to help with individual customer enquiries - please visit the RAC contacts page to find the right contact.
ISDN radio studio facilities are available for interviews Monday to Friday.
About the RAC
The RAC provides complete peace of mind to 12m UK private and business drivers, whatever their motoring needs. Its services include:
- Breakdown assistance. Its highly-skilled, 1,600-strong branded patrol workforce attends more than two million breakdowns every year, fixing on average four out of five vehicles at the roadside. The RAC’s patrol fleet is one of the most advanced in the UK, and was the first to roll out both an All-Wheels-Up recovery system, allowing the vast majority of vehicles to be recovered from a single patrol van, and EV Boost mobile electric vehicle charging units
- Insurance. The RAC is a top-five car insurance broker having surpassed the 500,000 policies-in-force milestone in 2018. It also offers ‘black box’ telematics policies, as well as home and travel insurance
- Other motoring services. The RAC leads in the development of new solutions for business, fleets, electric vehicles and future car technology. Its additional products and services include a personal loans offering, a used car buying website, vehicle inspections and checks, legal services or up-to-the-minute traffic and travel information. It also has a network of Approved Dealers and Approved Garages which combine the trust of RAC brand with local service and convenience
The RAC also works to support the interests of its members and UK drivers on the most important motoring issues which it identifies via the annual RAC Report on Motoring and the RAC Opinion Panel. The Report on Motoring is the longest running analysis of driver opinion in the UK having been published every year since 1989.
For more information about the RAC, visit the RAC website.